The Sacramento Police Department is sharing some information to help people remain aware and safe during the holiday season.
Home Safety Tips
- Put exterior motion sensitive lighting in the front side door into the garage, and rear entrance.
- Get a burglar alarm professionally installed.
- Make sure to keep up with the maintenance of your home. Trimming shrubbery in the front yard prevents “hiding spots” for lurkers.
- Get a dog or put “Beware of Dog” signs up even in you don’t own a dog.
Walking Safety Tips
- Remain vigilant, be alert, and look behind you.
- Don’t walk alone and carry minimal cash or jewelry.
- Park in well-lit areas and near store entrances.
- Have keys in hand when walking to your vehicle.
- Once inside, lock your doors immediately.
Vacation Safety Tips
- Have good locks on your windows and doors and use them!
- Ask your neighbor to watch your house while you’re away.
- Stop all deliveries, or arrange for a neighbor to pick up your mail, newspapers, and packages.
- Never leave your housekey hidden outside your home.
- Do not post your vacation plans on social media.
- Set your exterior lights on a timer (extra tip, in-house light timers can make the house look occupied in the evenings).